Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Finally, the iconic early 90's OS is leaving

Reference: (article here / BBC)
I can't believe that Windows 3.1 had lasted even this long. I would have thought that Linux would have already taken over the small systems stuff. I guess many businesses created MS-DOS apps that they wanted to keep for a very long time. Today though, there are numerous lightweight 'Distros' of Linux that handle many small and lean devices. From Slax to Ubuntu, Linux is a core operating system. Linux by itself isn't the Linux 'OS' you see, it's actually a grouping of software with the Linux kernel that makes up such.



Some 'Distros' of Linux:



Ubuntu (Debian fork) My favorite!

Mandriva

Red Hat

Debian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ubuntu is a decent distro for beginners. It basically holds your hand as you use it. For more advanced users, Debian is a good linux distro if you really want to improve your skills. Check it out, Grant.

Until then, rm -rf /root/
:)